Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Millennium Excellence Foundation Honours Reginald F. Lewis In Memorial

    August 21, 2026

    Robo.ai Inc. Announces Appointment of Wang Hao, Senior Executive Officer of UAE Independent Digital Asset Custodian Changer.ae, as Independent Director

    August 21, 2026

    Xinhua Silk Road: African youth media delegation explores new frontiers of China-Africa cooperation in C China’s Hunan Province

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Maghreb DailyMaghreb Daily
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Maghreb DailyMaghreb Daily
    Home » Canada wildfires force 20,000 from British Columbia homes
    News

    Canada wildfires force 20,000 from British Columbia homes

    August 10, 2026
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    SUMMERLAND, BRITISH COLUMBIA / RankWire.AI / – More than 20,000 people fled communities around Okanagan Lake after the Bald Range wildfire surged through southern British Columbia over the weekend. Provincial authorities declared a state of emergency Saturday as flames advanced toward Summerland and areas near Peachland. The fire grew beyond 10,300 hectares by Saturday night. It destroyed homes and damaged other property along its path. Emergency crews used helicopters to reach dozens of residents cut off by the fire. Evacuation orders remained in force across several communities and rural areas Sunday.

    Canada wildfires force 20,000 from British Columbia homes
    British Columbia wildfire evacuations continue as crews battle the Bald Range fire. (AI-generated image)

    The fire was first reported Friday evening and expanded rapidly as winds strengthened across the South Okanagan. Within hours, it moved toward populated areas west of Okanagan Lake. Summerland, a community of about 12,000 people, faced a full evacuation. Authorities also ordered thousands of residents in and around Peachland to leave. Evacuation zones included Faulder, parts of the Okanagan-Similkameen and Central Okanagan regional districts, and Penticton Indian Band lands. Officials also placed thousands of additional homes under evacuation alert.

    BC Wildfire Service said hot, dry weather continued to support fire spread across southern British Columbia. Thick smoke and poor visibility complicated both ground and air operations. Ten helicopters and one night-vision helicopter took part in the response. Turbulence and heavy smoke limited some aircraft activity. Fire crews focused on containment lines and structure protection around Summerland as the fire showed little new growth Sunday. Hundreds of provincial firefighters worked across British Columbia, supported by crews from Mexico, Australia and New Zealand.

    Evacuations spread across Okanagan communities

    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police confirmed one death linked to the wildfire Sunday. Police said an 80-year-old Meadow Valley resident died suddenly while leaving her home with a family member. The woman had been evacuating because of the Bald Range fire. The BC Coroners Service is investigating the nature of her death. Police said no other fatalities had been reported to them at that time. Emergency crews also diverted firefighting helicopters to rescue more than 50 people trapped or isolated as the fire moved through the area.

    British Columbia’s emergency declaration gives provincial authorities powers for travel restrictions, accommodation support and other response measures. Officials said the province suffered significant losses of homes and property. Highway 97 closures affected travel between communities along Okanagan Lake. Authorities also warned residents against using forest service roads. Emergency support centres opened in Penticton and West Kelowna for displaced residents. Local governments directed evacuees to register for short-term assistance and follow official updates. Authorities continued assessing damage in areas crews could safely reach.

    Federal aid supports displaced residents

    Canada’s federal government approved British Columbia’s request for assistance as the evacuation emergency expanded. Federal support includes shelter and accommodation for people who left their homes. Public Safety Canada’s Government Operations Centre began coordinating with provincial authorities on the response. The province said it had enough accommodation resources for immediate needs during the weekend. Officials encouraged evacuees who could stay with family or friends to do so. Emergency teams continued working to place people who needed temporary lodging.

    The Bald Range wildfire remained the main focus of the South Okanagan emergency as crews monitored changing conditions. Authorities said the cause of the fire remains under investigation. More than 100 wildfires burned across British Columbia during the weekend, with many listed as out of control. The province had already brought in international firefighters before the Bald Range fire expanded. Officials continued urging residents under evacuation orders to leave immediately. People under alerts were told to prepare for a rapid departure if conditions changed.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026
    Latest News

    Wall Street rises after Treasury expands debt buybacks

    Business August 20, 2026

    U.S. stocks ended modestly higher Wednesday as long-term Treasury yields fell sharply. The S&P 500 rose 16.22 points, or 0.21%, to 7,707.98, ending a three-session losing streak. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 119.65 points, or 0.22%, to close at 53,463.05. The Nasdaq Composite added 41.38 points, or 0.16%, finishing at 26,331.09. Falling government bond yields helped major indexes recover after several sessions of pressure from rising borrowing costs. Bond prices climbed after the U.S. Treasury Department announced larger liquidity support buybacks for longer-dated government debt. Starting September 9, the maximum purchase size will increase from $2 billion to at least $4 billion per operation. The change covers nominal coupon securities in the 10-to-20-year and 20-to-30-year maturity sectors. The increased amounts will remain in effect through November 4. The department said strong volumes of high-quality offers supported the decision to increase liquidity operations in those sectors. Treasury yields moved lower following the announcement, reversing part of a recent rise in long-term borrowing costs. The 10-year Treasury yield fell to about 4.65%, while the 30-year yield declined to about 5.20%. Bond yields move inversely to prices, so stronger demand for government debt pushed yields lower. The retreat eased pressure that had accompanied

    WHO maps three-month path for Congo Ebola containment

    August 19, 2026

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 19, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 17, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 14, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    Etihad sets December start for Abu Dhabi Gothenburg flights

    August 13, 2026
    © 2026 Maghreb Daily | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.